Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My Runners

disclaimer: please excuse the hashtags, multiple nicknames and inside jokes.  if you don't get it, don't worry about it.

LH100 & TeamFirst50 REUNITED .. and it doesn't feel so good

At least for me it doesn't.  Or Troy, but he's in love and probably doesn't care.  And Kevin, well, has anyone seen Kevin since South Dakota? What exactly am I talking about?

It's Greg's turn, that's what I'm talking about.  Last August, great friendships and even greater accomplishments were gained in South Dakota at Lean Horse.  Kevin ran the 50k, Greg and Michelle ran their first 50 mile race (#TeamFirst50) and Troy completed his first 100 mile.  Byron and I crewed all damn day and night (#bestcrewever).  It was an experience that couldn't be put into words .. that's a lie, I had many, many words

And now, 6 months later, Greg is on his way to Rocky Raccoon in Hunstville, Texas, to run his first 100mi race.  I'm so proud I can barely stand it! But I'm also sad.  From the moment there was talk about this RR trip, I knew I would be there for him, hands down.  I'm no pacer, but if you read my race report from Lean Horse, (and you should, it's really, really good #ASH) you should have noticed I kept referring to "my runners" or "our runners".  Byron and I were responsible for their well-being and we quickly learned that's not something to take lightly.  Greg is MY RUNNER. AND I DON'T TAKE THAT LIGHTLY.  Unfortunately life gets in the way (a.k.a. work and parent's birthdays) and I won't be there.  *sniffle*

Selfish much?  Um, yes, totally (#ASH).  Let's be realistic here.  This story isn't about me (although it'd be a lot cooler if it was)!  It's about how awesome this weekend is going to be for the participating members of LH100.  It's about the new experiences, accomplishments and friendships that will be made this time around.  Erik Kennemer has the self-described "honor" of pacing Greg (G, Ninja, Spiderman) during miles 60-80.  And #TeamFirst50 will be together to the finish, just like it should be, as Michelle (Drum) paces him in the home stretch of 80-100.  I remember those last 20 miles very vividly.  Damn girl, you've got your work cut out for you.  Byron will be there too (1/2 of #bestcrewever).  I'm actually not sure if he's running this time around (he paced T-Money in the home stretch of LH100), but either way there's no doubt at some point you'll here "Fo'ward progress, keep movin', keep movin'." PeePaw, can you hear still hear it?

This is about Greg, Michelle, Erik, Byron, and all the others that will be there.  New nicknames will be earned; someone might get caught taking a dump in the woods; there will possibly be tears; there will most definitely be laughter.  And while I honestly believe that the LH100 experience is one of a kind, I have no doubt that this one will be legendary in it's own rite.

Take care of him for me, B!


Me and Ninja - South Dakota Aug 2011







No comments:

Post a Comment